Friday, March 23, 2007

How Can I Say No? Let Me Count the Ways.....

I'm at a bit of an ethical business dilemma...... isn't free advice worth exactly what you paid for it? If so, why do some people insist on trying to extract "complimentary" knowledge from knowledge workers? (i.e. Lawyers, Doctors, Financial Advisors, ah-em.... Marketing & Business Development Consultants)

I, just like you I'm sure, am bombarded on a weekly basis with emails and phone calls from people who want to "take me to lunch and pick my brain" for my thoughts on various and asundry topics-- career advice, business strategy advice, office politics advice.... good grief, even love advice. (like I'm expert there?!?)

I've recently decided to follow Debra Condren's advice from her book, "Am-BITCH-ous," and utilize the following responses:
- "Actually, no. I don't work that way."
- "I'm over my pro bono limit this year."
- "I don't have coffee, drinks, or dinner.... spend all my free time with my family and friends. That's why I created my PowerHour (tm) 60-minute consulting session, if you'd like to set up an appointment."

Yes, I'm still a "giver"...... but, if Wendi (or you!!) drops dead from mental exhaustion in the woods when no one is around, would anyone hear the thud?

No comments: